The Pointe Book, 4th Edition by Janice Barringer and Sarah Schlesinger offers insight about all things Pointe! When is a dancer ready to go on pointe? How do I find the best medical care? What is the latest in pointe shoes and pointe shoe fitting and care? This book answers these questions and many others, taking the mystery out of a confusing field. 480 Pages.
NEW to this edition:
- Innovative ideas for preparing and caring for shoes, sewing on ribbons and elastic, dyeing, and extending the life of shoes.
- The latest and best information about pointe shoe fitting by experts.
- Completely new chapter on sample pointe classes from the country’s most experienced pointe masters.
- Expanded section on men on pointe.
- Extensively revised medical section: a complete list of problems that plague pointe dancers, how to treat them, and advice from and referrals to orthopedists, physiatrists, osteopaths, physical therapists, and chiropractors across the country.
- Exciting new interviews with today’s best-known star ballerinas and respected teachers.
- A thorough discussion of the issues of touching and sexual harassment, and a new guide from the Royal Ballet School, “Appropriate Physical Contact in Dance.”
- Updated pointe shoe size charts with old models deleted and new ones added.
- Extension of Shoe Accessories section.
- Colleges and universities that grant degrees in dance, as well as those that offer pointe classes.
Janice Barringer danced professionally for more than twenty-five years, and now teaches, choreographs, writes, and creates classroom CDs and instructional DVDs. She has written articles for Dancer, Pointe, Dance, Dance Teacher, and Dance Spirit Magazines. She is also the coauthor with Thalia Mara of On Pointe. Barringer has served on the faculty of the American Dance Center, Ballet Hispanico, Harkness House, Steps on Broadway, and is now is a professor of dance at Pace University.
Sarah Schlesinger is Associate Dean of Performing Arts and Chair of the Graduate Musical Theatre Writing Program at Tisch School of the Arts, New York University. She has owned and operated Dance-theatre shops that specialize in fitting pointe shoes.