Please download to a computer, not a mobile device.
Understanding Dance with Janice Barringer, Chapter 2, What is Contemporary Dance? When Janice Barringer is not teaching or choreographing, she's researching her passion. And that's DANCE. This 39-page e-booklet is a must for all dance teachers that continually educate themselves in the art of dance.
In this very informative chapter, Janice covers:
- Contemporary Dance, What Exactly Is It? – An introduction to the chapter
- Opinions on the issue – in this chapter, Ms. Barringer quotes from some of the best-known teachers and choreographers such as Ellie Potts Barrett, Kirk Peterson, Mandy Moore, Desmond Richardson, Lulu Washington and Nicholas Leicher.
- The History and Evolution of Modern and Contemporary Dance – A brief history of how Contemporary Dance came about.
- List of a Few Modern Contemporary and Contemporary Ballet Companies –Ms. Barringer covers nearly 40 companies, with brief reviews from the New York Times Arts Section, 2012.
- Ballet Dancers Exploring Contemporary Movement – Brief excerpts of reviews from The New York Times Arts Section of performances by two very famous ballet dancers who ventured into Contemporary Dance.