Please download to computer, not mobile device.
Understanding Dance with Janice Barringer, Chapter 2, What is Contemporary Dance? When Janice Barringer is not teaching or choreographing, she's researching her passion. And that's DANCE. This 39-page e-booklet is a must for all dance teachers that continually educate themselves in the art of dance.
In this very informative chapter, Janice covers:
- Contemporary Dance, What Exactly Is It? – An introduction to the chapter
- Opinions on the issue – in this chapter, Ms. Barringer quotes from some of the best-known teachers and choreographers such as Ellie Potts Barrett, Kirk Peterson, Mandy Moore, Desmond Richardson, Lulu Washington and Nicholas Leicher.
- The History and Evolution of Modern and Contemporary Dance – A brief history of how Contemporary Dance came about.
- List of a Few Modern Contemporary and Contemporary Ballet Companies –Ms. Barringer covers nearly 40 companies, with brief reviews from the New York Times Arts Section, 2012.
- Ballet Dancers Exploring Contemporary Movement – Brief excerpts of reviews from The New York Times Arts Section of performances by two very famous ballet dancers who ventured into Contemporary Dance.