Please download to a computer, not a mobile device.
Dances from the Ballet Cakewalk offers 2 spritely and energetic ballet dances that your audience will really enjoy. Choreographed by Janice Barringer, these short ballet dances will become your “go-to” throughout the years.
Cakewalk is a classical ballet in the form of a minstrel show that was premiered by New York City Ballet in 1951. Ruthanna Boris choreographed a series of dances that evoked minstrel entertainment in the Mississippi showboat tradition. Set to Hershey Kay’s adaptation of piano pieces composed by Louis Moreau Gottschalk as well as three minstrel tunes of the period, this energetic romp is a joyful and charming ballet.
Music and dances offered in this collection:
- Slight of Feet is a ballet dance that has been choreographed for Grade 1 students. The music is playful and light in spirit. This excerpt from the ballet, Cakewalk, uses music from minstrel shows of the past. Your 8-10-year-old students will really enjoy this ballet dance. Time – 2:00
- Perpendicular Points is an excerpt from the Ruthanna Boris Ballet Cakewalk. It has been created for the Grade 2 dancer. Louis Moreau Gottschalk composed the quirky and joyful music. Perfect for your 10-12-year-old students. Time – 2:18
Download includes: (Use iTunes or Quicktime to play)
- Videos files of 2 dances, step-by-step breakdown, and performance
- 2 performance-ready audio files of music
- Choreography notes as pdf file
* Music and dance notes sold separately as single downloads (No video): JBCD8025A, JBCD8025B